Wednesday 28 March 2012

Sloe Comfortable... Drink In The Garden

"Hold on a minute!" I heard you cry. "Wasn't there - admittedly quite some time ago - a mention of sloe gin?"

Indeed there was - well remembered; very perceptive of you, if I may be so bold.

Sloe gin and muscarii - Merry Springtime!

I am pleased to announce that finally, finally, and quite a long time after Christmas, the sloe gin is ready. After I tasted it in November and reported its delicate notes of cough mixture and school nurses, I whacked in a fair bit more sugar, shut it in a cupboard and forgot about it.

I am very satisfied with the result! For a change I have created a fruit liquer that doesn't taste of raw ethanol with a hint of fruit! Clearly the extra sugar helped. It is very tasty - still tasting alchohol-y, still sloe-y, still gin-y, and not too sweet.

 I recommend putting a measure into a goblet with some cheap fizzy wine and creating what I shall refer to as... a Kir Prunelle? Kir Faiseur? Kir-de-la-hedgerow?  You don't really mind what it's called once you've got halfway down the glass and are working up to making imperious demands for another...

No comments:

Post a Comment